Featured Post

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye...And Hello Again!

After more than a year of using my website's native blog feature, I regret that it just doesn't work for me.  :-(  There are many ...

September 19, 2017

Fantasy Faces: Labyrinth!


I don't really know when the first time I saw Labyrinth was. It released in 1986 and I was 4 years old at the time, but it must've been some years later when our family could afford a VCR that I was able to watch it.  For some reason I remember thinking these movies had always existed and that my mom must've grown up on them, because she spoke as if she knew what was happening.  I can only assume she pre-screened the movies before showing them to me and MAYBE she saw them in the theater.

All I really know is that since I did see it, it's stayed with me, along with many fantasy movies at the time.  They are part of what made me want to be an artist, why I was reluctant but excited to play D&D in college, and why for many years I was in my own bubble of magic and glitter.  There are few movies that are cut from this cloth, and I can't imagine them not being burned into my psyche.

Ludo (detail) ©Johnny Perez




So I'm happy to pay tribute to this classic film that still fills me with wonder.   See below some progress photos of the characters: Ludo, Jareth, Firey, and Sarah.  And at the end you can see the speed painting video of all four!

Ludo - watercolor -  ©Johnny Perez





Jareth -Watercolor - ©Johnny Perez

Sarah - watercolor - ©Johnny Perez



Firey No. 4 - watercolor -  ©Johnny Perez
Fantasy Faces of Labyrinth - watercolor -  ©Johnny Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment